The City of Canton, Georgia was originally known as Etowah and was a part of the Cherokee Nation. While the city was official incorporated in 1833, it did not become Canton until 1834. This was when it was named after Canton, China because the founding fathers of the town hoped to create a bustling silk center, like the one in that area of China.
Today, Canton is the center of all good things in Cherokee county. Canton excels commercially, in education, and is also known for its bustling social environment. This area is heralded for its natural beauty. Located at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains along the Etowah River, the beauty of the area can be shocking to people not used to such sights.
One of the most popular outdoor spots in Canton is Boiling Park. The park, which is open daily, offers numerous options for guests including exercise stations along the gravel walking trail, hiking, tennis, a playground, picnic areas, soccer, basketball, and two ball fields for softball and baseball.
The City of Canton, the county seat of Cherokee County, was established in 1832. The city was incorporated under the name Etowah in 1833 then changed to Canton December 18, 1834. The founders of Canton attempted to establish silk production but failed; however, the city is named after the city in China.
Former Georgia governor, Joseph Mackey Brown (1909-1913) was born in Canton. During his tenure, he sought economy in government, lower taxes, enforcement of Prohibition, and a reduction of power of the Railroad Commission. Brown also wrote two books entitled Mountains Campaigns in Georgia and Astanax in addition to numerous articles.
Canton hosts numerous festivals and special events, including celebrations for the Fourth of July and Christmas. Canton also hosts “A Taste of Cherokee” in May and the Riverfest during the last weekend in September.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Canton had a population of 7,709 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 60.0%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.
Total Area: 14.26 Square Miles
The Bluffs Technology Park, Canton
The Bluffs Technology Park
In June 2004, the Bluffs Parkway opened off of Riverstone Blvd. This parkway bisects the Bluffs Technology Park and will be home to 15,000 high tech jobs when built out in 10 years. The Park will also include a satellite campus for Appalachian Tech to train employees of the companies relocating there.
In 1994, the theatre was purchased by an individual for restoration. The City of Canton then acquired the property in 1997 and later deeded it to the Downtown Development Authority, in order to secure financing for restoration, which soon began.
The Canton Theatre is now an elegant grand facility bringing Broadway productions to downtown Canton and the surrounding area for its fourth wonderful season.
Canton Restaurant Guide
Canton Restaurant Guide