Located in Gwinnett County, the City of Buford was incorporated August 24, 1872. The original developers of the area, Thomas Garner and Larkin Smith, named the town after Colonel A. S. Buford, the president of the railroad that ran from Atlanta to Charlotte, NC.
Buford is located in North Georgia near the metro Atlanta community area and along the southern edge of beautiful Lake Lanier in Gwinnett County.
Buford was originally called “The Leather City” because it was known as a historic tannery town. The city is home to the Buford Artists Colony, where over 30 artists make and sell art, pottery, jewelry and furniture in the shops of Main Street Buford.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Buford had a population of 10,668 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 21.6%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.
Total Area: 15.44 Square Miles
Bavarian Woods Estates
Lake Lanier Vista